Chassis bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis bracing

I have come to the stage where I want to start adding some chassis bracing to my s14. I am holding off on getting a full cage at the moment although I am aware that this is probably one of the best ways to stiffen any chassis.

What I would like to do is get some discussion, thoughts and opinions on both off the shelf and self-made chassis bracing. What is worth doing and what is just unnecessary weight.

Currently I have the obligatory strut tower braces but I am looking to add some of the front fender braces and some bracing of the castor rod (tension rod) brackets.

Ok so I have a couple of questions that I would love to get some feedback on... First of all with the tension rod brackets there are 2 types of brace that I have seen. There is the nismo power brace style which is simply a bar welded between the middle of the two brackets. There is also the bolt on type which goes between the the brackets but is located where the actual tension rods bolt through. Any benefits of one type over the other? Is it even beneficial at all to brace these brackets (they do bend easily I know that much). Finally boxing the brackets themselves... worth doing?

Nismo power brace

Bolt-in tension rod brace

Next question is regarding the fender braces. I have seen various types but they all seem to bolt to the door hinges and then have one bolt to the inner fender rail. Then I saw this...

I always questioned the benefit of these with only one bolt holding them to the fender rail and this welded in example seems to make much more sense. Thoughts?

I was thinking most of these chassis braces would be just as easy to make yourself. Has anyone on here made their own and what size/thickness material did you use?

I have a few questions on other braces but I will leave them for later so this post doesn't go tl;dr.

All feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by TSL; 03-11-2010, 03:24 AM.

^I have the Nams style fender braces that bolt on and I did not notice a difference.

^these Shakitto plates on the other hand.... I felt an immediate difference in braking and stability in the front end. Well worth the money IMO. The solid DC FSB is nice too.

I also have a power brace which helps a lot... those stock pieces are so weak... I would just get the power brace.

^this was also a nice addition...

Comment

I made my own fender braces which are welded on the frame like the one in the pictures and they work very well. You can feel quite a big difference in how the front of the car responds to steering input.

Comment

I have a power brace. Or should I say had, I pulled it off, since I felt it was just dead weight.

Comment

For some reason I just dont see those shakitto plates doing anything, maybe its me

Comment

these are saddly discontinued:

The dc sports stbs were noticable for me.

Nismo power brace was noticable SLIGHTLY...

i do want the triangulated shiznit fender/firewall brace... but meh.

And the shakito ones.. ppl said they mostly do nothing i dunno i dun think theyd do anything either BUT .. i guess for you it worked out. Ovepriced jdm :-/

I want that middle brace until i get a cage but cant find.

The cpillar brace and trunk brace combined = nice addition on my hatch slight noticable difference for sure.

I also got the yashio factory tension brace whatever its called weird name it did kinda add to the feel but i installed it when i installed solid subframe bushing sand the column bushing so cant quite give a solid review lol.. it was a combined thing.
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I'm speaking from actual experience. The shakitto plates work well for me. I felt it was worth the money.

Not sure how anyone can think the power brace is dead weight... maybe you don't drive your car hard enough to notice?

Comment

Originally posted by marcinko View Post
                Not sure how anyone can think the power brace is dead weight... maybe you don't drive your car hard enough to notice?
                ZING!

- Brian
                '96 240SX | KA-T - 320rwhp @ 12psi | ~2700lbs
                Koni 8611 & GC's - 600/450 | RPF1's - 17x9.5

Comment

whats with all the zinging lately LOL old school batman ftl
                  "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

The Jonnie Fraz front tension rod brace is much nicer and cheaper than the Nismo unit. I felt the difference just pulling out of the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by marcinko View Post
                      I'm speaking from actual experience. The shakitto plates work well for me. I felt it was worth the money.

Yeah, you caught me. I don't know how to drive.

For something to not be considered dead weight, it needs to either serve a functional purpose for my comfort/enjoyment, or reduce my time when autocrossing.

This contraption does neither. Therefore. Deadweight.

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
                        Yeah, you caught me. I don't know how to drive.

For something to not be considered dead weight, it needs to either serve a functional purpose for my comfort/enjoyment, or reduce my time when autocrossing.

This contraption does neither. Therefore. Deadweight.
                        Mind donating it to a po' boy then?
                        http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think I already gave it away. I'll go through my stash and confirm.

Comment

I know this, the C pillar brace for an s14 is useless for suspension...

...but it works great for blocking headlamps out of my mirror lol!
                            'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                            [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                            [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

not on an s13 hatch its not useless lolll its like a mini hotel/mansion on falling apart foundation back there. Cpillar and trunk brace = good.

Comment

Working...
                              X