Nismo mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nismo mounts

Does anybody else do anything about how much higher the engine is with Nismo mounts. It seems they are about 1/2" higher. I decided to do something about it. I cut the engine mounts(on the crossmember) to lower them 1/2 in and move the engine backwards 1" while I'm at it. I just started today but I have had it mocked up in there and all seems fine. I have a driveshaft shop aluminum ABS driveshaft and it had 1.5" play so I won't even have to shorten that.

I am curious how much weight it puts to the back but not curious enough to figure out a way to find out. It seems that these things are pretty heavy on the front crossmember so moving it even 1" will hopefully off-center it and put a disproportionate amount of weight to the rear. Don't know but it seems like a reasonable theory.

Logr, tell me again what motor you have in the car? The KA24DE barely clears the firewall by a half inch so it can't go back very much. Street Prepared doesn't let me move the engine back so I haven't tried. My NISMO mounts did raise it a little and I've thought about buying/making lower mounts but I haven't gotten around to measuring to see how far down it can go.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

SR

Comment

I've always wondered why Nismo mounted cars sometimes rubbed the hood on some cars I've done. I usually shorten mounts as well.
        'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
        [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
        [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I thought the "raising of the engine" dealio had to do with the stock mounts being old, soft and saggy, thus brand new, slightly stiffer Nismo mounts would put it back to where it was supposed to go?

Is it actually higher than what it's supposed to be at?
          http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Oh for sure. If you run a top mount fuel rail, it'll be into the hood for sure with nismo mounts
            'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
            [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
            [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by SoSideways View Post
              I thought the "raising of the engine" dealio had to do with the stock mounts being old, soft and saggy, thus brand new, slightly stiffer Nismo mounts would put it back to where it was supposed to go?

Is it actually higher than what it's supposed to be at?
              that was my understanding also....

I can't imagine Nismo mounts would be thicker than stock seeing as how they are stiffer and would net less motion
              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

They're probably made to the same dimensions as stock, but since they are stiffer they will deflect less. If I were moving the engine down and back I'd just make new mounts instead hacking on the subframe(if I'm reading this correctly).
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

cusco engine mounts do it
                  "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

These may be a bit brutal, but looks intriguing....Xcessive Solid Mounts I was thinking that Peak Performance or someone made urethane mounts in two different durometers that also lowered things a bit.

Comment

Don't forget to make a skid plate or something to protect the oil pan if you lower the engine!

Sway bar won't be low enough to protect the oil pan anymore lol
                      http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Actually 1/2" is perfect. It puts the engine right where it was with stock mounts and the skid plate is just below it. I could make new mounts I suppose. I like cheap and easy when possible. KISS is my motto. I will take some pics. It is easier to show.

Comment

Not sure how well this shows what I did but you can see the lip where I moved it back an inch. I just cut the mount itself off and put it right back in the same hole but a bit lower and farther back. It took me quite a while to figure out the cleanest way but only a short time to accomplish the work. The Nismo mounts measure 1/8" taller but don't give at all so the engine sits between 3/8" and 1/2" higher.

Comment

Have you thought about gearbox removal? It's usually a tight squeeze to get it out with the stock engine location. With the engine moved back I guess it will be wedged in between the firewall/transmission tunnel and the engine.

Comment

Yes it would be tight. Not sure if it is possible or not but it is pretty quick to pull the engine and trans. or lift the engine a bit. It is an autox only car so it doesn't get many miles.

I have it all in now and everything seems great. May have to trim the shifter hole. I am at the very back. Used the stock trans crossmember and used different holes in it than normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X