Cooling capacity of stock radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling capacity of stock radiator?

Curious who has really tested the limits of a stock 240sx radiator?

Car will be a drift car (semi streetable) that will only need to make 40-50 second passes at a time using the stock shroud and fan which moves air well.

It will be about 350bhp output, which is 50% more than S15 factory output.. it is a significant increase in additional heat generated, however my thought process is drifting a car is lighter load on the engine compared to road racing since the tires are slipping without full resistence. My monkey logic would like ot think that 50% increase is really only a 30% increase from factory heat removal spec, which may be reasonable to use on short 40-50 second passes.

Any real world feedback?

Just to paint a clearer picture, i do plan to have an upgraded radiator but if I can get away with a stock one for a period of time i would consider putting it lower in the priority list.

Additional monkey logic:
    There have been drift cars running SR20s in the 600, 700+ HP seemingly using a off the shelf Koyo radiator, which is about double the size of the factory 240sx radiator. Using that as a ratio of power to cooling capacity, it would seem to be a similar heat removal capacity at a 300HP car. Any thoughts or real world experiences?

https://dsportmag.com/the-cars/slide...ays-no-to-v8s/ example of a 700HP drift car runing off the shelf koyo rad

Comment

I dunno man, we talking a brand new OEM radiator? Because otherwise, these things are old af and made partially of plastic; I wouldn't trust it to hold chicken noodle soup

Comment

Working...
      X