Brake mounting point dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake mounting point dimensions

Does anyone have the brake caliper mounting dimensions, front and rear?

I'm finally pulling my car out of storage and may have some issues with the brakes. I was toying with an upgrade anyway, so rather than just fix what's there, I may move forward with the upgrade.

I may just go with some of the numerous kits out there but I want to dig into my options a little more, including a custom kit. The car is an autoX and occasional street car (mostly to autoXs) so heat capacity isn't important, the stock brakes are enough in that regard. Most of the aftermarket kits are geared toward bigger rotors and more heat capacity (weight) so not much of an upgrade from the 300zx set I have now. I don't need 13" brakes, the 11"s are good enough and I see an opportunity to save some weight.

Just looking for the caliper mounting hole size, spacing, radial distance and offset from the hub face.

Mounting hole size for front is M12x1.25 and rear is M10x1.25. C-C spacing is 100mm in the front and 114mm in the rear. Don't have the other information off hand.

I get that you don't need 13" brakes, but FWIW the 13" brake rotor assembly in my kit is 3+ lbs lighter than a cross-drilled and slotted Z32 rotor. The idea is that there is weight where it matters (duh). The Wilwood FSL6R is also a very lightweight caliper and significantly more rigid than the older generation lug mount FSL used in the old Defsport kits (I've measured deflection on both of them).

Z32 rotor:

Core4 332x32:

Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
      Mounting hole size for front is M12x1.25 and rear is M10x1.25. C-C spacing is 100mm in the front and 114mm in the rear. Don't have the other information off hand.
      Thanks for that info, if you can dig up the other dimensions, I'd appreciate it.

I get that you don't need 13" brakes, but FWIW the 13" brake rotor assembly in my kit is 3+ lbs lighter than a cross-drilled and slotted Z32 rotor. The idea is that there is weight where it matters (duh). The Wilwood FSL6R is also a very lightweight caliper and significantly more rigid than the older generation lug mount FSL used in the old Defsport kits (I've measured deflection on both of them).
      I don't disagree with that, but if I can save 4 lbs, why not do that instead? If it costs me an extra $1500, sure, I'll pass on that for sure, I just want to know my options. I need to get my head around all the kits that are available as well, but that's a different discussion.

Comment

Putting this image into CAD and using 114mm between the two mounting holes, it looks like it's also 114mm from the axle center to the center of the mounting holes. Does that sound right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0edpnPHi08CZDL8TT2dGx3qg_kIbDOeh1-4Nvkc-9KxYZ3_km.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cdlong View Post

I don't disagree with that, but if I can save 4 lbs, why not do that instead? If it costs me an extra $1500, sure, I'll pass on that for sure, I just want to know my options. I need to get my head around all the kits that are available as well, but that's a different discussion.
          I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but yea my kits are probably a heatsink overkill for AutoX. But, it's still lighter than a Z32 setup with way more thermal capacity, cooling efficiency, and longevity. It also weighs the same as Defsports hat 12.2" rotor combo so don't expect to save much more weight unless you go 11.75" or smaller 2-piece setup.

Again, just throwing it out there. Most of the stuff out there uses old, legacy Wilwood calipers which are stiff as a wet noodle, or OEM take offs, which introduces balance issues if not done correctly. Or, big bucks for Stoptech off the shelf kits and the like.

12.2" x 1.25" Defsport 2 piece with missing hardware likely worth 0.1lbs:

My rear rotor assembly with optional parking brake drum is also 3lbs lighter than a rear Z32 rotor. It's more than 4lbs lighter without the optional ebrake drum (not counting removal of Z32 parking brake assembly):

Rear Z32:

Core4 12.88" x 0.81" rear with optional parking brake drum:

I'll check my notes for those other dimensions.

Core4 Motorsports
          CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
          S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Just saying that while saving 3 lbs per corner is certainly desirable, why not save 4, if all else's equal. I did some more sketching and figure I can fit the 11.75" rotors, which should come in at about 10 lbs assembled.

Comment

What other brake info are you looking for? I have a correctly scaled model of a Z32 Rear knuckle in another thread.

http://nissanroadracing.com/forum/su...pright-3d-scan
              Last edited by Stingy49; 06-20-2019, 09:51 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Assuming gills' memory is correct, the only thing I still need is just the distance from the axle center line to the mounting bolt centerline, and the offset from the hub face to the mounting face. The second one is super easy to measure but if you have it handy, it'll save me a few minutes of digging.

Comment

Working...
                X