Traction and toe rod DIY parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction and toe rod DIY parts

Im putting together a package for the diyer to make your own traction and toe rods for far less than what big name companies cost. The brackets are laser cut and cnc bent and the 5/8 to 12mm bushings are cnc machined for consistency. Im looking into the cost of having them powder coated as well. The rest of the parts needed are readily available at almost any race supply shop. I will give suggestions for rod ends, jam nuts and the popper lengths for the center threaded sections.

All of the first production run are spoken for. As soon as this group is finished and delivered I will look into making another batch. Thanks to all who jumped in on the action early.

The Traction Rod threaded centers need to be 4" long and the Toe rods need to be 9.5"

Rod ends need to be 5/8-18 left hand thread with 5/8" bore

You will need two right hand jam nuts and two left hand jam nuts per kit.

The list:
    JC_Freak x1
    Gigapunk x2
    jmauld x2
    Nissankat x1
    Air x2
    GodspeedS13 x2
    JSC x2
    ericb382 x1
    Ruff Ryder 6 x2
    WilloW x1

Pictures of the finished product ready to ship.

Everything that is included in one kit, if you ordered two then it will be doubled.

Brad
    Last edited by amgvr4; 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM.

Sounds wonderful. As for powdercoating, if offered as a DIY kit, Id be more inclined to buy a less expensive uncoated kit, but would pay a bit more for a good quality coating on completed arms.

Would you be coating just the clevis end? I'm assuming that the misalignment spacers are aluminum, so it shouldn't really be necessary.

Originally posted by amgvr4 View Post
    ... Im looking into the cost of having them powder coated as well...
    Price should be about $50 for a set of two brackets and four spacers.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Look into zinc/CAD plating as well. I can get it done locally for $75 for as much as you can throw in a basket (which will hold about 500lb of parts).
        tougher than powdercoating and cheaper.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

lol why didnt come up with this idea two years ago... you bastard Nice work though

NRR is rockin' lately with innovation
          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Nothing that new, really... I made my own 5+ years ago.
            http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/suspension/100_1116.jpg
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'd be in!

Comment

I'd recommend QA-1 rod ends over those cheap Auroras. $30 buys you much more rod end than the VC series Auroras. I say this having 2 on my car - they're pretty underwhelming in all respects.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Def...
                  The rod end choice is up to the person putting the arms together, thats the best part about this set up, you can customize it to your liking. I have been using inexpensive non ptfe lined rod ends on my tc rods I made for the last few years and they worked great. Just switched them out for the mid grade Auroras as the old ones had developed a small amount of slop. The funny thing is that even the auroras are better quality that just about any rod ends that are spec on brand name arms.

Matt93SE...
                  There is a metal finishing shop that does plating near me. I can check into pricing that too.

JSC...
                  I have thought about that too and might throw that in as an option as well. The spacers are 6061 aluminum so I wouldnt have them coated.

a_ahmed...
                  I just got my 240 two years ago... before that I was doing this kind of stuff for my Datsun 510s. Here are some of my previous projects.

510 front end after custom tc rods, lca, 240sx coilovers, 300zx brakes and five lug conversion.

510 tc rods

240sx coils adapted to s13 se v6 struts

240sx tc rods

510 lca

Comment

Not a bad idea really

I've been making these arms in Australia for a few Yeats now and that's not the ultra hard bit at least

that's the exact cost that I would retail those components for. I have them built and ready to go for any one is Aus too.

Comment

cool stuff man
                      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Any chance of making the brackets out of stainless? Then they wouldn't need any powdercoating at all!

Comment

Stainless looks sexy, but it is weaker and doesn't handle flex well. it's more brittle than regular steels. I wouldn't want to make a suspension part for a track car out of stainless. You want your parts to bend in an agricultural maneuver, not break.

that said, you *can* bend stainless, but I don't think the fatigue strength is same as regular steels.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I woud be down.

Comment

Most stainless steels will have a slightly lower yield strength than mild steel. Their elongation at 2% yield is also lower(less ductile).
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X