Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway Bar End Links

What are you guys using?
    My fronts broke upon removal, so I figure I'll replace them all.

ES has rears for like $20, but I can't find fronts from them.
    Generic megan/ebay/etc will cost $69 for the front.

What are you guys running?
    In Zipties We Trust....

Heim joint endlinks that came with my progress sway bars.

Comment

Originally posted by robertftw View Post
      heim joint endlinks that came with my progress sway bars.
      x2
      -Monty

Comment

Gimme a pic of the endlinks. you can probably make them for about $10...

I forget what they look like, but I'm thinking 3/8" female heim with a stud pressed into it, then a 2.5" or so long 3/8" bolt and a set of ES bushings...

If that's not it, then a pair of 3/8" female heims and a piece of 3/8" all thread in the middle.

3/8" heim with a stud pressed into the center are like $3.75 each from Rod End Supply.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Ball joint end links. (Don't know the correct name for them :P)

Comment

These are the generic ones I'm talking about.
            Maybe I'll get some measurements this weekend and we can figure out a budget/baller setup
            lol

In Zipties We Trust....

Comment

┬┐what is the benefit of installing this?

Comment

mostly to replace worn out/broken parts.

the urethane bushings are usually stiffer than the OE bushings as well, so they provide a bit quicker response.

Some are adjustable for length, so they can set/ remove sway bar preload as well, but that can get into more advanced setups than most people here are messing with.
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

^^ Yeah, the first 2 apply for me, lol
                  In Zipties We Trust....

Comment

I've lucked out, my whiteline end links have held up nicely
                    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Here... I finally found a pic of the progress end-links!

-Monty

Comment

Rears are easy to make with a couple of rod ends threaded into each other.

Fronts are the slightly tougher ones... then again, you can just use a bolt + a female rod end.

With the Godspeed FLCAs, however, the endlink mounting holes are slightly further back than the stock location, so you guys might need to make it with 2 rod ends threaded into each other and a clevis rod end bolted to one end of the rod ends, then into the FLCAs.
                        http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm trying to figure out the best way around this.

The progress style rears look to be a male & female rod end threaded into each other, a bracket bolted to the lca and 2 more bolts for the end links.
                          But how does the upper rod end bolt to the sway bar, which is horizontal and not vertical (see rear yellow end link in ebay/bings pic).

Unless the Progress rear mounting holes are oriented 90deg to the stock setup, or in my case, Tanabe bars. The picture that McCoy posted of the Progress links look like it would work on the front as well, and would need something else to work with stock/Tanabe rear bars.

Either way, they look pretty complicated to replicate with the need for the brackets/etc. Maybe the straight bolt + bushings (ES style) is easiest for the rears.

The picture that Matt93SE posted looks really simple for the fronts. You could almost just buy a $20 ES rear urethane setup, and split it for use in the front. You'd get the urethane bushings to put between the washers, then you'd just need the bolt + female rod end with stud.

I don't want to pay $70 for the ebay/bings fronts, but don't mind paying $20 for the ES rears. I guess that if I just measure the ID of the swaybar mounting hole, then match a rod end + stud to that, I'm on my way?

Has anyone done this before?

ebay/bings
                          In Zipties We Trust....

Comment

It would take more time to describe, but click here and you can see how the progress end-links attach on the 240sx. You'll need to enlarge their little thumb-nail picture to get a good view of it.
                            -Monty

Comment

I use factory Mazda3 rear end links. They have big sealed ball joints and they're exactly the right dimensions, with the exception of the bar-side stud, which is too big. Just have to open up the holes in the bar a few mm to make them work.

Here is one next to a Progress link (I swapped out the Progress ones while trying to track down a rattle--it wasn't them):

And installed:

If you need to adjust them, just put a washer under the short one...

-Dave
                              stories about crappy cars!--> www.eyesoreracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X