Oil-Sandwich plates w/ Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil-Sandwich plates w/ Thermostats

I found this site the other day while browing and found a company that sells Mocal oil-sandwhich plates with built in thermostats. I figured I'd share becasue its an awesome product for not alot of money. They sell entire oil-cooler kits for around 300$

Parts list
    http://97.74.103.94/files/sp1t.pdf
    from
    http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm

Bat Inc is a local compay to me (hour south) and sell all sorts of Mocal and Setrab products.

I still think the Greddy one, click here, is the better option when it comes to the sandwich plates with built in T-stats.

For a few dollars more you get the 10AN fittings included, options of running the fittings straight out or at a 45 degree angle (which works great on the SR to clear the motor mount), and from others have mentioned it's a better built piece... even ask Def, oh wait, let me quote him!
    Originally posted by Def
    McCoy, that GReddy sammich plate looks WAY better than the Mocal I have. My Mocal had a HORRIBLE tapping job on the inlet/outlets. Tap was going way too fast and "chipped" all the threads it looks lik.

I'm kinda jealous of the shiny blingness...

edit --- here's my full list, with costs, from 2008 when I purchased everything. (it looks like the adapter plate went up $20 since then)
    From 240sxmotoring...
    Greddy sandwich plate 3/4-16 (w/built in 180F T-stat) $95

From Summit
    B&M cooler with 1/2NPT inlet/outlets (11x5.75x1.5) $63
    1/2NPT to -10AN fittings (x2) $9.50
    Summit 10AN twist-tite fittings, $42 (2 straights and 2 90's)
    10' Summit 10AN twist-tite hose $35
    Last edited by McCoy; 01-28-2010, 12:41 PM.
    -Monty

Comment

Didnt know the Greddy one had a thermostat.

Comment

I didn't either until I stumbled across this one searching for other options.

Here are some pictures of what I have.

-Monty

Comment

http://97.74.103.94/files/coolkit.pdf
          (option 4)

From BatInc you can get an entire kit (minus cooler) for 190$ which includes the filter block, -AN fittings, 8ft of Stainless braided hose and brackets. All you need to do is choose a cooler and you're done. I think for the money the Mocal set up is the best bet, but the Greddy one is also a very good option.

I like the Mocal/BatInc stuff since its local and I can get all the parts same day.

Comment

Mine ran about $254 total.

I just looked at option 4, your going to need at least one, if not two, 45 fitting off the sandwich plate to get by the motor mount. I played with my setup for a while before installing the motor and that's the only way your going to clear the motor mount. It's tight in that area and not many ways to run the hoses.
            -Monty

Comment

i'm running the mocal sandwich and it worked out well for me. the greddy with thermostat is also a good option. i think 240sxmotoring sells the greddy/grex. for a cheap core, go to the junkyard and grab one off a late 80s turbo volvo 740. they are a little small, but great cores made by setrab. got mine for $10

Comment

My Mocal sammich plate has a tstat built into it, but the machining was complete crap as I mentioned to McCoy. I went over as many surfaces as possible with red scotchbrite to try to break off any chips, and a few did come off with minimal effort.

For the price I thought the Mocal was pretty crappy, I'd rather pay a bit more and get something that's nicely machined. No idea what the GReddy one goes for, but the overall quality is just plain nicer.

I'd rate the difference between the Mocal and GReddy sammich plates as about 2-3x the casting quality difference between GReddy and FReddy intake manifolds - it's that bad. I'm all for going cheap when the tradeoff is very minor and can be corrected with just a little bit of work, but the Mocal plate was below what I'd call an acceptable level. A few others have expressed the same opinion of the Mocal plates.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I paid $100 for my Greddy adapter through 240sxmotoring.com
                  Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                    I didn't either until I stumbled across this one searching for other options.

Here are some pictures of what I have.

I like the adapter but can the thermostat be removed? My car is a track only car I perfer to not use a thermostat. It's just one more thing that can fail. I also run a gutted thermostat for the cooling system. For a street car is necessary to run thermostats (oil and water) to ensure temps are at the proper level.
                    NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

^If you don't want a thermostat, I'd suggest running something like the Tomei unit Monty is selling for his SR. Except for a KA, of course.

BAT Inc. is good people. I've purchased quite a few fittings from them.

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                        I like the adapter but can the thermostat be removed? My car is a track only car I perfer to not use a thermostat. It's just one more thing that can fail. I also run a gutted thermostat for the cooling system. For a street car is necessary to run thermostats (oil and water) to ensure temps are at the proper level.
                        I think the reduced engine wear from running a thermostat is more than worth the very small possibility of failure.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          I think the reduced engine wear from running a thermostat is more than worth the very small possibility of failure.
                          It's a race engine and half way through the first lap the thermostats are wide open anyways. W/o the fans running it heats up quick. For a car that sees any street time I would definitely use a thermostat. Plus I use 5w30 or 0w40 oil to help with start-up wear.

Most full race engines use some sort of restrictor instead of an actual thermostat. The restrictor size is adjusted to get the appropriate flow and overall temp.
                          Last edited by 240sxTTC; 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM.
                          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                            ^If you don't want a thermostat, I'd suggest running something like the Tomei unit Monty is selling for his SR. Except for a KA, of course.

BAT Inc. is good people. I've purchased quite a few fittings from them.
                            Do they make one for the KA?
                            NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

^^^ their's a GB for one on Zilvia right now.
                              -Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X