S chassis BUDGET BALLER front strut tower bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S chassis BUDGET BALLER front strut tower bar

Thought I'd post up a little taste of how work has been going on the budget baller front strut tower bar for S chassis.

The design is not completed, maybe 75-80% done at this point, but gives you an idea of the finished direction. But here it is - like I said, think fighter jet bulkhead meets your creeky old S chassis:

Still trying to decide where to attach the triangulation to the firewall, but it looks like that should definitely be something that is possible with some holes drilled and a little cheap stock cut.

I'm aiming at the total weight being less than 7 lbs and being way stiffer than anything else on the market. Total weight can be as low as about 5.5 lbs if slightly lighter weight bars are used, but I think the stiffness would be better than saving a couple of lbs on it.

Thoughts?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

A regular Maverick

Looks interesting to say the least. Just so long as it doesn't rub my hood, and clears the top feed rail we'll be set
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I modeled the dimensions after my FReddy strut tower bar I currently have. The advantage of this design is that you can still get a stiff/rigid connection and adjust the height of the bar/bars via shims if you're having slight clearance issues. The thickness of the central bar is also up to the end user(I will provide all pertinent specs), so you can swap back and forth to find one that fits your application for only ~$7-10/bar of aluminum.

Comment

That's indeed 'baller.'

How much you think it will cost to make? Definately try and tie it to the firewall if you can. There's not much room on cars with ABS but for non-ABS cars it should be easily do-able.

Comment

Cost is still way up in the air. But it is very high on the priority list. I will make design changes to reduce cost if it goes over what I think is a reasonable price point. Braces to the firewall is a top priority as well, I just haven't decided if I'm doing it off the strut tower plates, or just going to let them tie off the horizontal bar(mainly to clear the BMC reservoir, which looks like the biggest area of interference on my car).

Comment

Very nice concept, I can't wait to get one once there ready. Kind of reminds me of the Auto Select bars for Skylines

1991 Silvia Q's - SR20DE

Comment

My design is superior to those since it uses shear bolts instead of a bolt as a "hinge." Plus the stiffness to weight ratio is definitely superior on my design.

At this point I'm still waiting to hear if it's a feasible design at a reasonable pricepoint, but I was a little excited about it so I thought I'd share.

Comment

I'm glad you shared, because I am now excited that I won't have to buy some crap made by a 6 year old somewhere in Asia.
                1991 Silvia Q's - SR20DE

Comment

Bar stock or cast?
                  Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                      Bar stock or cast?
                      Bar stock that's milled. Casting is WAY too expensive in small quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                        Bar stock that's milled. Casting is WAY too expensive in small quantities.
                        Yeah, that's what i figured...just looked pretty intricate too.
                        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

you dirty dirty man lol. Good job.
                          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

*subscribed*

Comment

Lots of triangles, therefore, I like (strong!!!) hahahaha

I would sell my Megan Racing STBs in a heart beat to buy these things up! (don't judge me, I got those Megan ones for free!! hahaha)

Like everyone else have said already, as long as the bar will clear the hood and the engine, this looks pretty damn baller!!
                              http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X