Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z32 Shock Mount w/ Poly Bushing To Tap for Zerk or Not to tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z32 Shock Mount w/ Poly Bushing To Tap for Zerk or Not to tap?

Hey guys...I've drilled and tapped everythign else on the upright, just curious as to if the same should be done for the shock mount. I understand spherical is best, but I'd rather make the best of the poly for now. Would this mount require a grease fitting or is best left alone?

Thanks!
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

I don't really see that one having a need to pivot much, if at all. if it moves, then greasing it would be a good idea. but does it move?
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
      I don't really see that one having a need to pivot much, if at all. if it moves, then greasing it would be a good idea. but does it move?
      I agree with you...as they are my thougths as well. Seems like this one has less axial (if that's the rigth word) then the rest. I was just (damn call me spoonfed lazy newb ) curious as to what those with engineering backgrounds may think.

Another reason, is that the 'outer area' around the bushing is approx 5/16 to 7/16 thick...I mean, I have grease fittings that will work, but if it's not needed, I'll pass.

Comment

If you drill the hole the right size you don't need to tap anything, just screw the fitting in and it will make it's own threads. I've never tapped a zerk fitting hole. I don't see why you shouldn't have grease fittings there either, I put some in mine. Yeah, it doesn't move much, but it doesn't take much time to install the fittings either.
        function > form
        1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

It doesn't rotate at all(or very very very little). Just grease it when you install and it'll be fine. No need for a zerk fitting.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by racepar1 View Post
            If you drill the hole the right size you don't need to tap anything, just screw the fitting in and it will make it's own threads. I've never tapped a zerk fitting hole. I don't see why you shouldn't have grease fittings there either, I put some in mine. Yeah, it doesn't move much, but it doesn't take much time to install the fittings either.
            With a thin piece of steel, yes I agree taping them is a bit overkill, however the aluminum itself is of considerable 'width' and I'm not sure i'd trust running a straight fitting into aluminum without some sort of basic treading there. I know the tapered ones are supposed to be self forming, but the extra 2 minutes to tap each hole really doesn't bother me, considering I have the tools

Understood on how easy it was, and I have the length required, but was really debating on the 'necessary' aspect of that location. I guess it certainly won't hurt right?

Comment

I did my z-32 uprights without a tap, also all my zerk fittings on the rest of the car. If you look at the aftermarket balljoints that come with un-installed grease fittings there are no threads in the balljoints. Don't overthink it, it's just a grease fitting. My point is that it is so easy to install the zerk fittings, why not just do it? It'll make greasing those bushings a breeze in the end. I just don't see a point NOT to do it, it would literally take 10 minutes to do.
              function > form
              1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

There is no reason to drill holes in your shock mounts of your uprights in the first place. There is no rotational motion, it pretty much just sits there.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by racepar1 View Post
                  I did my z-32 uprights without a tap, also all my zerk fittings on the rest of the car. If you look at the aftermarket balljoints that come with un-installed grease fittings there are no threads in the balljoints. Don't overthink it, it's just a grease fitting. My point is that it is so easy to install the zerk fittings, why not just do it? It'll make greasing those bushings a breeze in the end. I just don't see a point NOT to do it, it would literally take 10 minutes to do.
                  I'm not overthinking anything - I know what 'big trucks' have on them (family business) as well as equipment for contracting and excavating (as we also service them). I know on any major suspension component in that related field, they are all tapped. It's only smaller end (consumer grade/automotive normally) ball joints and linkages that are not tapped. Again to me, it's not an issue of overthinking, it's an issue of doing what I'm used to working with, and knowing that they are tapped.

With that said, in order to properly get a grease fitting to work right, I'd also need an extended shank fitting (again I have a shelf of these), so I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    There is no reason to drill holes in your shock mounts of your uprights in the first place. There is no rotational motion, it pretty much just sits there.
                    This is what I was getting at, and why I asked the question to begin with. Thanks for reassuring what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X