Aftermarket Alum. Radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Alum. Radiators

Anyone on here use one for track? I am looking at the Mishimoto right now for $185 SHIPPED!

I have only tracked this car once, but didnt like the water temps I saw on a 55° day (210°)

TIA

My friend has the Mishimoto radiator, although the car hasn't done anything more than idle and chew my spare distributor up (long story). It seems about as good as any aluminum radiator.

Comment

210F is what I got to a few times with temps in the 50-60's. I can't wait to track my car once it's in the 80-90's . I have the Koyo, but have not done any ducting to the radiator yet, so that is on my list for this year along with the underdrive WP pulley that I have on the shelf.

With the Sentra, I ran water temps in the 200-230 range on hotter days and oil temps in the 210-250 range with the DET... the peak #'s I never saw till about 15-20 minutes into a session and it was above 85F typically.

Running the heater on high helps, not the funnest being the driver, but does allow you to squeeze out an extra 5-10 minutes before oil temps go critical
      -Monty

Comment

I run a Koyo here - last time I was on track it was about 80 deg F and I hit about 185 F water and 205 F oil. The key is a good oil cooler with lots of cooling flow. My water temps would climb up after my oil hit about 230 before, and I'd start coasting some when they hit 250 F because the water was starting to go over 205 and the motor starts to get a little knock happy in 90 F+ weather at those temps.

If you have the stock oil pan(I have a GReddy), you'll have even less oil cooling, so you need a cooler badly with that.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Bumping old thread because I have a very similar question!
          I need a new radiator for my 1991 Nissan 240sx, it has a ka24de. I will be doing 1-2 track days, 12-14 autoxs, and 14K miles daily driving per year. I was planing on going with the Mishimoto($225 shipped). My question is should I get this or a KOYO($340 shipped)? Will and aftermarket radiator be an overkill for my setup?
          The car had an OE AL radiator and it held up fine for autox's but I am not sure how good an OE replacement would hold up for track days.
          I am looking for best bang for the buck!
          Thanks!
          thanks,
          Zain

Comment

the KOYO and mish. replacement radiators are good, hold more fluid and fit well. As long as you still use some kind of fan you will be fine. I use the factory fan and shroud on my SR and my cooling temps stay in the safe zone always with no ducting. Either one will work, just use a fan.
            NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

I have a Mishimoto radiator on mine and have trouble getting my temps above 170 or so on the street ambient about 90*. that's with no condensor, nismo thermostat, and the altima fans on it (usually both are off though). When i get it on the track i can let you know what kind of temps i hit.

Comment

Thanks
                I think I am going to go with the Mishimoto because it is cheaper than the KOYO, I am gong to use the stock fan and fan shroud.

Comment

I have the Mishimoto radiator as well on my S14 SR20. I made a custom fiberglass cooling panel for the space between the headlights and radiator support - I still need to make side and bottom guides. I'm running a single 15" electric fan on a switch. At the last drift event I was at (mid/early October) it was like 75ish and I was able to stay between 180 and 200 no problem unless I was going non-stop for a good 15mins with high rpms. Whenever I saw my water temp creep up to 210 I'd just stop drifting and drive around the cool lap area they had set up and they temps would drop almost immediately. I'm sure going sideways doesn't help cooling very well.

Comment

Ron Davis
                    Personally I don't have one, but I'd never bother with anything else Unless I was poor and then I'd go Koyo.

Seen too many other japanese type brands fail

Comment

I run the Mishimoto in my high compression KA car where the stock radiator was not cutting it. It is the same size as the KOYO in everyway. It also has a 1 year warranty and is around $100 cheaper then the KOYO as well. I race in Phoenix during the summer. During our 90 hour enduro last year temps got up to 215 degrees after an hour of shifting at 6500 RPMs and having a car 4 feet infront of you with little air flow. Oil temps where at 280-290 degrees with oil cooler. Outside temp was around 90 degrees.

Comment

i got an aluminum griffin one, dual core trippl core or something fancy shmancy i forget... it runs fine... its mega light too but much much larger...
                        "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by floodo1 View Post
                          Ron Davis
                          Personally I don't have one, but I'd never bother with anything else Unless I was poor and then I'd go Koyo.

Seen too many other japanese type brands fail
                          What do you mean fail? IMO it is pretty hard to not properly design a heat exchanger now a days.

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet View Post
                            What do you mean fail? IMO it is pretty hard to not properly design a heat exchanger now a days.
                            start leaking.

Comment

I got my Mishimoto radiator on Friday form Direct Tuning. It looks good by the left side lower bracket that holds the A/C fan it bent!
                              I could try to hammer it straight but I am afraid I might break something.
                              I called Direct Tuning and they said they would call me back but they never did!!
                              Has anyone else had a bad experience with DirectTuning ?

Comment

Working...
                              X