Wheel bearing grease. If you're interested:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearing grease. If you're interested:

Motoiq. Written by Dave Coleman, so it's not boring.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ike-I-Did.aspx

Coleman has some hardcore fatigue failure going on around the fillet for the axle stud on the casting:

'18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Wow, good stuff, Alot of ppl like the Neo Products

Comment

Ha, I'm replacing wheel bearings this weekend in my car.

Good to know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          Coleman has some hardcore fatigue failure going on around the fillet for the axle stud on the casting:
          Damn, didn't even notice that.

Can't believe that car is still around! I was browsing the MotoIQ site last night and found his posts/articles. That thing basically got me interested in 240s...I originally was interested in cars as platforms for sound systems before I actually owned one. Then when I got a S14 and put some audio stuff in it, I was like "cool, this sounds good...now what?" Cue the SCC S13 articles, and here I am, 3 S14s later, on NRR, when I currently don't even own one, reading about rollcenter adjusters, DIY aero, and homebrew 2 piece brake kits.
          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            Sure that's not just corrosion from crap getting stuck behind the dust shield?

So how long have you guys wheel bearings lasted? My car's at about 140,000 now and probably 10,000 track miles or so. still on the original bearings, although I think they're about done. I've noticed soem growling during really hard cornering which goes away when I tap the brakes. I'm guessing it's the play in the wheel bearing causing the rotor to rub on the caliper.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I destroyed 1 Ichiba bearing in less than 2000 miles. I'm pretty sure my OEM bearings will last me for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                Damn, didn't even notice that.

Can't believe that car is still around! I was browsing the MotoIQ site last night and found his posts/articles. That thing basically got me interested in 240s...I originally was interested in cars as platforms for sound systems before I actually owned one. Then when I got a S14 and put some audio stuff in it, I was like "cool, this sounds good...now what?" Cue the SCC S13 articles, and here I am, 3 S14s later, on NRR, when I currently don't even own one, reading about rollcenter adjusters, DIY aero, and homebrew 2 piece brake kits.
                I'm basically trying to rip off Coleman's s13 to best of my ability.

Comment

My junkyard S14 front hubs has lasted me since 2003. I repacked with Neo bearing grease like that article in 03 and still no noise to this day.

Comment

Pretty simple work to do, for a noob such as myself? My luck I'd get the bearing opened up, and it'll never come back together.

Comment

Meh...I'll just torque them down properly. My pops has a BEAST torque wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        Sure that's not just corrosion from crap getting stuck behind the dust shield?

So how long have you guys wheel bearings lasted? My car's at about 140,000 now and probably 10,000 track miles or so. still on the original bearings, although I think they're about done. I've noticed soem growling during really hard cornering which goes away when I tap the brakes. I'm guessing it's the play in the wheel bearing causing the rotor to rub on the caliper.
                        Sure looks like a crack to me. I'm talking about the circular crack that's going around the spindle where it starts to taper out for the axle stub.

I did manage to have a really weird failure on some used OEM Z32 NA rear hubs. There would be no play while you rotated it around, then you could get it in a specific spot and get a good 1/2"-3/4" change in toe by rocking the wheel back and forth. Roll it some more and it'd go away. Could get the same behavior with it off the car.

Never really did find out what the reason was, as the shop destroyed the inner race pressing the hub out. I imagine a ball was out of place or something like that.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Bumnah View Post
                          Pretty simple work to do, for a noob such as myself? My luck I'd get the bearing opened up, and it'll never come back together.

It's fairly simple, but those plastic bearing holders have sharp edges on which I cut myself.

Comment

Originally posted by pedroramosjr View Post
                            It's fairly simple, but those plastic bearing holders have sharp edges on which I cut myself.
                            So, I should have my significant other do the dangerous bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumnah View Post
                              So, I should have my significant other do the dangerous bit?

If it pleases you.

Comment

Working...
                              X