Removing P/S Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing P/S Lines

I am not looking to eliminate power steering from my car, but rather taking the lines and reservoir off of a car at a junkyard that I found earlier today. I took the engine harness, ecu, gauge cluster, and throttle cable. The P/S lines and reservoic are the last pieces that I need to start my DOHC swap.

Would I be better off just buying them off of someone who already has them off a car or should I suck it up and get them off of the car at the junkyard? I didn't ask on the price at the yard, but I have seen them go for about $100 online.

Ivan

They're not hard at all to get off the car, long as you have access under the car to get them off.
    At least for an S14 anyway....
    And I wouldn't pay $100 for them.. they barely cost that much new!
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
      They're not hard at all to get off the car, long as you have access under the car to get them off.
      At least for an S14 anyway....
      And I wouldn't pay $100 for them.. they barely cost that much new!
      The car is off the ground and there is access, I think I am going to head back to the yard tomorrow and see what they are asking for them. If it is anywhere near $100 for the lines and reservoir I will just save myself the time and headache by buying them off online. On the other hand; if they are asking somewhere around $40 or less, I will just roll up my sleeves and go to work

Ivan

Comment

For $100 I'd just get some Metric to AN fittings and either bend some aluminum/stainless hardlines or just go with some teflon braided lines.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          For $100 I'd just get some Metric to AN fittings and either bend some aluminum/stainless hardlines or just go with some teflon braided lines.
          But you're not a typical 240 owner.

There's no way a JY would charge you $100 for them. Just make sure you ask up front.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
            But you're not a typical 240 owner.

There's no way a JY would charge you $100 for them. Just make sure you ask up front.
            I actually priced out parts for braided lines w/ AN fittings and the total was around $280.

I will probably take a trip to the JY sometime this week/weekend since I am going to need the PS reservoir regardless.

Ivan

Comment

Originally posted by El_Guapo View Post
              I actually priced out parts for braided lines w/ AN fittings and the total was around $280.

I will probably take a trip to the JY sometime this week/weekend since I am going to need the PS reservoir regardless.

Ivan
              Say what son?!?!

Not sure what type of lines you're using, but you really only need 3 metric>AN fittings(~$10-15 ea), then a few hose ends + teflon hose, or just get some aluminum and rock out with a flaring tool and bender.

You really don't need more than -4 lines, as the factory lines are either about the same size and there is a coiled restrictor in the factory high pressure line.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                Say what son?!?!

Not sure what type of lines you're using, but you really only need 3 metric>AN fittings(~$10-15 ea), then a few hose ends + teflon hose, or just get some aluminum and rock out with a flaring tool and bender.

You really don't need more than -4 lines, as the factory lines are either about the same size and there is a coiled restrictor in the factory high pressure line.
                The setup that I priced out may have been a bit overboard, no doubt I could do it for a lot less with just the fittings and flaring some lines. I found a write up on someone who had done a custom setup and went off of their list. I will post a list of the parts I came up with for the outrageous price, when I get home later today.

Ivan

Comment

junkyard lines will probably leak........ later you will be cussing and want to just spend a little more $ on new lines.

Comment

Yea, I didn't think you were talking about the high pressure rubber line, but if you are, don't get one from the junkyard. Every S13 one I've seen has obviously been leaking for a long time. The crimps just work loose over time and they drip fluid. Total POS design.

I replaced mine with a premade teflon hose and some aluminum fittings for around $45-50ish IIRC. Just took flaring the stock line by the framerail to a -6 AN.

Comment

Every time I put on the high pressure hardline that loops from the rack to the pump It takes forever and I curse the Nissan engineers because it is always a PITA to get fitted in and threaded into the rack without cross threading

You might consider making your own lines and adding in an aftermarket cooler just to save that hassle.

When I did the S14 I took all the dimensions. S13 is the same.

Power Steering
                      • Oil Pump Relief hydraulic pressure - 1,390 - 1,484 PSI
                      • Fluid Capacity - Approx. 1 L
                      • High Pressure
                      • > PS Pump Banjo Fitting = 16mm Banjo
                      • > High Pressure Steering Rack Fitting = M14x1.25 inverted flare
                      • > PS pressure Sensor = M12x1.25
                      • Low Pressure
                      • > Low Pressure Hose OD = 3/8"
                      • > Reservoir Host OD = 5/8"
                      • > PS Pump Return fitting OD =1/2"
                      • > Rack Return Fitting OD = M14x1.25 inverted flare
                      The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

+1 to not using the stock lines from a jy car. Bad experiences two times and ended up going to the stealership for new ones. Now that there are people who know how to setup custom lines I would definitely take their advice. When the lines I have now eventually go that's the route I'm taking. It seems like a pain at first to get all those materials together but you'll have a trouble free setup for years.

Comment

Good info, Umai!

Comment

Working...
                          X