Lock to lock of a rack without tie rods installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock to lock of a rack without tie rods installed

So I bought a used HICAS rack off a guy from Zilvia. He seems like a standup guy and assured me it was indeed a HICAS rack, but when I checked the rack without tierods on it, it gives EXACTLY 3.1 turns lock to lock. FSM states non-HICAS racks give 3.1 turns LtoL, HICAS racks are 2.6 turns LtoL.

Does the installation of tie rods significantly change the lock to lock turns of a rack(hence the additional steering angle after installing a tie rod spacer)?

I'm really not sure what to do at this point, as I don't really want to pull my good/rebuilt non-HICAS rack off the car just to indeed find out it's the same as the one I've got.

So does anybody have a non-HICAS or HICAS rack off the car that could check the turns lock to lock? Unfortunately I don't have extra tie rods to toss on there and see if it changes the LtoL turns.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

It doesn't matter if the tie-rods are installed or not, cause when I changed my tie-rods out the knuckle had full movement. I got in the car and it still did 3.1 lock-to-lock...

Comment

I thought tie rod spacers worked by moving the big inner tie rod "bolt/balljoint" thing further out, making it hit the inner stop after more travel. Is this not how they function?

Comment

I've got an extra set of inner tie rods I can ship to you if you like. Just pay shipping.

I've got an extra non hicas front rack i can check the lock to lock, but I already know it's 3.1

I went through 2 rebuilt "HICAS" racks, both were sold as HICAS racks but were not. I wound up buying a used HICAS rack through a reputable seller.

If it's not 3.1 lock to lock, it's not HICAS. I can't see why inner rods or no inner rods would make a difference.

Comment

So inner tie rods aren't what hit the stops? I don't get how tie rod spacers would work then, since they just give you a bit more rack travel before the stop(right? never used these, but that's what I've always understood).

The seller claimed his friend with a HICAS S13 with Tein tie rods and spacers has 3.0 turns lock to lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            So inner tie rods aren't what hit the stops? I don't get how tie rod spacers would work then, since they just give you a bit more rack travel before the stop(right? never used these, but that's what I've always understood).

The seller claimed his friend with a HICAS S13 with Tein tie rods and spacers has 3.0 turns lock to lock.
            You are correct sir. The rack actually stops on the inner tie rods. Without the inner tie rods installed the shaft can actually go inside the rack a little since the tie rods aren't there to stop it and you end up with more turns lock to lock. The rack that the OP is looking at is likely a hicas rack. There are also different numbers on the hicas rack on the pinion housing, but I forget what they are.
            function > form
            1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

Hmmm... I will check into the different numbers since I have a non-HICAS rack on my car currently.

Comment

So the possible HICAS rack has a "17" raised on the casting right by the upper PS line port on the pinion housing(by the input shaft). My non-HICAS one has a "15" in the same area.

Can somebody confirm this means it's a HICAS rack? I'm leaning towards it actually being a HICAS rack at this point, but I'm still going to do a double check with some tie rods installed.

Comment

I've had around 4 - 5 steering racks come through my garage. I looked for a sequence of numbers to see if one was HICAs or not. None of the numbers seem to prove one way or the other. I'd install some inner rods, and do a lock to lock to be sure. My HICAS rack was certainly in the 2.x turns lock to lock, VS the other that were 3.x.

Comment

man you got owned, go after the guy... the hicas rack indeed is 2.6...
                    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I've got some SPL tie rod ends and Z32 inner tie rods on the way. I should know by this weekend what this rack actually is.

I'm thinking it's a HICAS rack at this point.... a very dirty HICAS rack, but one nonetheless.

Comment

I've never heard of a HICAS rack with a ratio of 3.x before
                        sounds like a regular one to me
                        1995 Fouki S14 - re-energized ka-t project!
                        1999 F150 - gas guzzler parts getter
                        1989 Toyota Pickup - mandatory Pomona abandoned-in-driveway vehicle
                        2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive hatch - "The only 40mpg econobox worth driving"

Comment

Yea, regular are 3.1 turns.
                          HICAS are 2.6 turns.

I have a whole pile of steering racks at work (20+) that are 3.1 turns. Can I sell them as HICAS racks then? haha

Comment

Only if you use orange paint and spray HICAS on them.
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by ManoNegra View Post
                              I've never heard of a HICAS rack with a ratio of 3.x before
                              sounds like a regular one to me
                              Well, that's without inner tie rods. I should be getting some in a few hours to test it out.

I cleaned off about a pound of grease and dirt off the rack last night - weight reduction...

Comment

Working...
                              X