Brake pads for Z32 calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads for Z32 calipers

Z32 calipers have some decent pads available, but definitely not everything on the market, and some of them are really expensive. I've done a lot of searching around to see what is out there, so I'll post up the best deals I've found. Something to keep in mind is the the 06+ WRX and the RacingBrake 4 piston calipers from their big brake kits both use the same pad as the 300ZX front, so you can use those when searching as well.

Front caliper track pads

Hawk Blue: Conceptzperformance.com- $82- Track only, very abrasive to rotors when cold, popular with cheap SCCA racers, great bang for the buck.

Hawk HT-10: conceptzperformance.com has them for $165, price seems typical- Pretty popular track pad, higher MOT than Blues, not as brutal on rotors as blues

PFC 01: vividracing.com has these listed for 06+ WRX- $197 list- Supposed to be a great track pad, very high MOT, pretty popular with BMW/Evo/Vette guys

BHP CR6: not listed on site yet, but supposed to be released soon. $165 Got good reviews from a member here, and guys on other forums liked them as a street/track dual duty pad.

Hawk DTC series are not offered for the 300ZX calipers. I can't find any Raybestos ST-4X series pads either, which get great reviews from track guys.

Front caliper street pads
    For street pads, you have many options- Hawk HPS, HP+, Axxis ULT (was called Ultimate in the past). Ultimates are like $55 a set for fronts; I think they're a nice street pad, with no noise but lots of dust. I've even tracked on them with stock KA power and been fine, but they're not recommended for the front of a track car. Might be a good option for the rears since they don't heat up as much, but with bigger front brakes and a more aggressive front compound, you might end up with too much front bias. It really depends on your setup.

Rear caliper pads
    Hawk Blues and HT-10, HPS and HP+, Axxis ULT all available, usually a little cheaper than fronts.

You can also get Porterfield, Carbotech, and Cobalt pads for Z32 calipers, but these all seem to have various price, quality, etc. issues so I didn't really seek them out.
    Last edited by turtl631; 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM. Reason: Reason for Editing:
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Carbotech XP8s are excellent. I had the opportunity to drive a few cars with these pads, and they are a fantastic do-everything pad. Noisy and dusty, and a little tough to modulate at first, but they felt great to me once I got used to them. For the average driver on street tires, these are probably the best way to go.

A buddy of mine with a 350Z (one of the cars I drove, in fact) uses them every day - daily driving, autocrossing, and track days - and claims that he sees no reason to use anything more or less aggressive.

I have a set of XP8s somewhere around here for next season, but I've been wondering more and more about the BHPs... I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    Last edited by spool_sample; 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM. Reason: Grammar owns me

Comment

I'm not that thrilled with Carbotech pads after having some Panther Plus(AX6) not even hold up to 200 rwhp at the track with 300ZX brakes all around. Some people seem to like their higher temp pads, but for everybody that says they're great, I find someone that had the same experience I had with overheating a pad and transferring material when it should be fine.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I have invited Matt Nicholson of BHP Brakes (formerly of Carbotech) hopefully he will drop in a shed some light for you guys.

Comment

Greetings guys! I'm Matt from BHP Brakes. We're quite excited about our new race pad program. Front pads for the Z32 caliper will be availible this month. I'm looking at the week of the 21st for a release date.

I think the CR6 compound is ideal as a dual-use pad for motorsports. Fade resistance is in the 1000-1100F range, but they work immediately when cold. As others mentioned I drive them to work daily. Dust washes right off, even if it sits on the rim for weeks, and they don't chew up rotors at all. Noise varies from car to car. I have had none on my SE-R, friend of mine had some at low speeds on his S2000.

See you guys at the track.....
          www.bhpbrakes.com
          704-489-8399

Comment

Def-

That's what I've found too, even some of the hardcore Evo/Vette/M3 guys like the Carbotechs, but there's also quite a few bad reviews and pad transfer issues. The only pads I've seen to be pretty universally lauded are PFC, BHP (early to say for sure though), and Raybestos.

Ecugrad- I hope Matt Nicholson posts. We've exchanged emails and he's been quite helpful.
            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
              Def-

That's what I've found too, even some of the hardcore Evo/Vette/M3 guys like the Carbotechs, but there's also quite a few bad reviews and pad transfer issues. The only pads I've seen to be pretty universally lauded are PFC, BHP (early to say for sure though), and Raybestos.

Ecugrad- I hope Matt Nicholson posts. We've exchanged emails and he's been quite helpful.
              ^That's Matt Nicholson that posted above you=D
              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

It didn't show up for some reason before. Maybe I took my time writing that post or something. Ha. Excuses!
                ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Good to see you posting here, Matt. I'll be picking up a set of the CR6 pads from you when they release... Hawk blues on a wet track is a big no-no if you like your wheels
                  -Monty

Comment

I think I'll be getting a set too. Debating on trying Z33 rotors since I got the brackets for them on the cheap, but they're about 2.5x the cost of Z32 rotors. Still, a little more heat-dissipating mass and front bias couldn't hurt. I wish Z32 rotors were a bit larger; the calipers are nice but the rotor diameter just leaves a little to be desired.
                    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Matt,

What do you guys have in the way of a track-only pad that doesn't have demon-dust like Hawk Blues?

I've accepted my car is beyond the capabilities of a dual use pad, so I need a set of track pads. At this point it's looking like HT-10s, but does BHP have anything comparable in capabilities that is maybe a little cheaper?

Comment

Def, I'd still consider the Hawk Blue's for track pads... for the price you can't go wrong. As long as it isn't wet, I've had no problems with them.
                        -Monty

Comment

I hear they work pretty well... although with the temp range I wonder if I'd overheat them(braking requirements are dictated by power).

I've seen plenty of wheels destroyed by Hawk Blue dust that got wet for whatever reason, and it's honestly enough to make me really want to avoid them.

Comment

Matt,

What do you guys have in the way of a track-only pad that doesn't have demon-dust like Hawk Blues?
                            Nothing right now. Our PR-series (pro-race series) stop amazingly well, but the dust is sticky on the rims. Seems to be much kinder to the rotors than Blues, but there is still dust issues when it gets wet. That's really the state of things right now. If you need 1500F stopping ability, it takes very serious friction compounds to do that.

I have no schedule to manufacture our PR-series in that shape, but if the interest is there, I'll do it. They will likely be in the PFC-price range (~$200) if we do them.

At this time, as much as I hate to say it, HT-10 is likely your best option.

Edit: BTW, we are accepting pre-orders.....
                            Last edited by MaddMatt; 01-07-2008, 07:47 AM.
                            www.bhpbrakes.com
                            704-489-8399

Comment

Any plans to make pads for the rear 300ZX calipers?
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X