Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RB20DET worth it (if one can get for cheap)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB20DET worth it (if one can get for cheap)?

Some guy is getting rid of his rb20det... skyline gts guy that just got an rb26dett... should I?

He can give it to me for 'cheap'... now... is it even worth it? I know it sure probably is better than my ka... lol.

Weight-wise?

Otherwise?

What's required to even get an rb20det to work? Engine mount-wise? Tranny-wise? What tranny is required? Can I use my KA tranny + driveshaft?

Wiring im gona guess yes need work...

What else? What can i carry over from ka, what do i need?

Supporting mods/necessacities?

Is it even worth it?

:-/ I am sick of my ka...
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

No. Overweight engine that's long as balls that can't even keep up with an SR as far as power on stock internals.

If you're at all worried about weight and cornering, just go with an SR. The block is a lot shorter, and it's quite a bit lighter than the KA. You can make 300-350 rwhp easily and have a kick ass powerband - done and done for track usage.

If you're spending that much money on your car, don't cheap out on the engine for a few hundred bucks difference.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

meh... it seemed tempting... i was just bedazzling my ears with RB20DET swaps on youtube hahahahahaha... slap me sometimes please, I know I have to be patient on certain things... *Stays away from rb20det*

I am so sick of my KA, I want even an SR... I know the powerband of the SR is great for track use... only thing with the SR I don't like is the low-mid end... sucks balls but hey no replacement for displacement...

All being said.. I ultimately still want an LS1/2/3/6/7... but like that's gona happen any time soon...

Forget it... ignore my stupidity... I am just sick of the KA... and it's not even running good as of late... all these problems I guess better not to have more.

I do get thoughts of a CA even... as i know those things have an insane revability and get interesting up top (great for track again...).... but its an old rare engine... but apparently the lightest (hey the hatch was designed for it to be 50;50 from factory with it) i dunno... I am just sick of the ka basically.
      Last edited by a_ahmed; 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM.
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

My SR always got compliments for being pretty punchy down low before I put 264/264 cams in it. That pretty much killed power below 2k RPM. It's still not bad at all to drive around with how light it is. Really though, if you EVER drop below 3k RPM on the track, you're doing something VERY wrong. IMO my SR felt 95% as strong as my stock KA24DE below 2k RPM stock for stock, it's really not an absolutely huge difference IMO.

I'll put it this way, yes, there are some badass engines out there, but it's *SO* nice to be able to buy off the shelf parts and slap them on your car and just work. A custom engine setup sounds really cool until you actually have to do it. Those are my words of wisdom. IMO the SR is a really nice engine, and I'll stick with it unless for some reason I end up in Cali... then I'm not really sure what I'd do with my car.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

lol im never bellow 4-5 on track... i was talking about the SR on regular sane street driving heh... can not, not love v6 and v8 torque from bellow plus the smoothness of 6+ cylinder engines... i love inline 6 engines (old bimmers, etc...).... but your points are all definetely valid.

The SR is definetely a beast up top as is the CA but... I was just talking about low-mid end... I agree with you...

The KA also feels like a frickin TRACTOR... holy crap... feels and sounds. The SR is not too far off either lol... 4 cyl bummer but hey.

Comment

My SR feels crappy below 3k, so at autocross it sucks sometime depending on the course. A lot of that has to do with ginormous-ass ebay fmic, but meh. I miss the 280wtq of my ka-t, but SR is soooooooo much simpler/easier/revvier.

Comment

None of these engines make that much torque. I really don't see any reason to go with the KA over the SR for torque, or go with the SR over the KA for high RPM power. Parts are available to do either with either engine, and given the physics of the KA will always favor it to make more torque, it still isn't enough to hold it above the SR. A gear swap or slight boost increase can put the SR right back on par.

If I started over, I would probably go SR this time around for the weight loss, but the VQ35 is kind of tempting. I may give a VQ swap a try if I blow my KA, or I may just park the 240 and go with another S2000 for a track car.

I really like the sound of the VQs....

From the sound of your posts ahmed, you need to ride in a C5 Z06 so you can see just how much torque our engines do not create. That engine probably creates more torque at 1500rpm than your car does, period. It is pretty cool to scoot through traffic below 2000rpm.
              Last edited by Cory; 08-01-2009, 06:51 AM.
              Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
              http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

My friend's ls1 FC is an absolute trip to drive.

Esp on 275s lol.

280wtq @ 1200rpm. Buy-in is fuggin high though.

Comment

Could always get an LS1 and some crazy cams that shift all that power up high heh.. make it more livable at the botom with our weaksauce chsasis... but yeah i just love the torque of v6 and v8 engines and such a nicer powr curve.... it feels awesome that is all...

When I first got my ride in an SR I thought it was broken LOL... I was like something is wrong with your car maaan.... but no heh.. its just lack of any true power bellow 4000... even a while back I drove a moded SR (boltons and boost uped) and it just felt weird bellow 4k... like wth... marshmellow pedal power.... but of course up above it starts to get going..

I thought about this also... if going VQ or LS1 and you want mad more power... why not a rear mounted turbo... push the weight back where its needed... while keep the front lighter... otherwise yes SR and even more so the CA... will have the least front-weight..

Comment

The CA had an iron block. I would not be surprised if it were heavier than the SR.
                    Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."

Comment

A12____ - 87 kg _192 lbs
                      A14____ - 93 kg _205 lbs
                      L18____ - 118 kg 260 lbs
                      CA18ET_ - 118 kg 260 lbs
                      QR25DE_ - 121 kg 267 lbs
                      CA18DET - 128 kg 282 lbs
                      SR20DE -- 139 kg 306 lbs
                      SR20DET - 149 kg 328 lbs
                      FJ20ET_ - 166 kg 366 lbs
                      KA24DE_ - 167 kg 368 lbs (estimated)

Apparently a quick google search brings this up

Comment

I'm always cynical of weights. Too many variables and never enough consistency between tests.

I'm not calling you wrong. This is a multiple choice world, and I would choose a different answer than you.
                        Cory B.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nEPSIzuL0w

CA18DET could be really fun on track this is 600whp~ mobnes' 200sx with a madly built ca18det

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee3Z-nb01pY

Comment

I would like to know what tires he is on, because he is far past time for upgrading. My car barely spun second at 500whp with MXs that were old. I spun third once on video brake boosting, and that surprised me.

Spinning at "200km/hr" as I saw him bragging about in the comments section is just retarded at 600whp. That is pure disregard for purchasing good tires.

On MT ET streets as I saw in one of his other videos, it sounds like he gets slight spinning in second and hooks fine in third. His street tires clearly suck terribly.
                              Last edited by Cory; 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM.
                              Cory B.

Comment

Working...
                              X