Ride height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride height?

I'm curious what other S-chassis owners are running in terms of ride height with whatever coilovers you're using. I'm most interested in S13 drivers. I'm trying to strike a balance between a low center of gravity and rubbing in the front fenders, and I'm trying to figure out if one end or the other of the car should be higher - e.g., on a B13 the rear wheel arches are shorter than the front, so the measurements would be different if the car were level.

I'm still fooling with my S13, trying to finalize some things before taking the car for an alignment, and I'm working from a position of some ignorance.

If you have the time and don't mind, please post your height at each corner, measured straight up the center of each wheel.
    1990 S13, SR-swapped "Budget Baller" - gone down the road...

I don't know my ride height off hand (I know at one point it was ~25-26" from the ground to the fender, but I had different wheels and I lowered it a bit more now), and I have an S14...and my car is most likely significantly lower then most peoples cars on here. That being said, I have no issues with rubbing up front. I recommend choosing the right offset and width for your application and pulling the fenders if need be. I am running 17X10 +7s up front, but with a 245/40 Pilot Sport.

Comment

WishIHadaSilvia: What kind of front camber are you running? How close is your 245 tire to the coilovers?

When I set my ride height, the car was corner balanced.

Previously I've set ride height by starting with the front driver side wheel. I'd lower it to a point where I was happy with the looks. I'd then measure from the bottom of the frame rail to the ground. Then make the front passenger side the same height. Make sure it the same on both left and ride sides, and then start on the rear. I'd try to make it the same as the front. Obviously the front end raised slightly when the rear was lowered. I'd take measurements again, and try to go for a good "in the middle" of the measurements. It worked pretty well.

It's nowhere near as nice as corner balancing though.

Comment

I believe I am running somewhere around -2.6-2.8 up front. I have a finger or so of space between my coilover and wheel. I am still on my JICs right now, I think I am going to have to run a 5mm spacer with my bilstein/GC set up. I tried test fitting it the other day but I had made my housings too long so I had to get them recut/welded. It didn't look like it was going to work though. Through my calculations though I should have 3mms of clearance, haha!

Comment

I'm constantly impressed at other peoples ability to fit such wide rims under stock fenders.
          On a 10" wide rim, I'd want to run a 275 tire. i don't see how it can be done.

I'm such a noob to this wheel fitment stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumnah View Post
            I'm constantly impressed at other peoples ability to fit such wide rims under stock fenders.

Short springs that fit over the wheel, instead of beside it.

I run a 6" 500lb spring. The wide tire gets to go as close to the strut body as possible. Also, the camber has to be adjusted at the top of the strut., and not at the hub.

Comment

The are other factors to consider if you want the car to handle than just CG... If you slam these cars they won't handle right cuz it messes up the suspension geometry.

I know some guys that are two inches above the legal min RH so their suspension will actually work right. Of course that is in a class where you can't move suspension p/u's and have to use stock suspension links, but that **** gets expensive any ways!

GL with the car! And have fun
              Last edited by BlackFire240sx; 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM.
              "the kid" -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- '90 Nissan 240sx ITA #5
              Kessler Engineering in Berlin, CT - dyno, engines, cages, etc.
              Driving Impressions Racing safety equipment, motorsports shop and more!
              Check out our ITA road race build!

Comment

Originally posted by Bumnah View Post

Even though I obviously run stretched tires, this guy is my hero (taken from Zilvia):

Originally posted by gsracer
                CAR
                s14 stock body just pulled

WHEELS
                Work meister S1 3 piece
                front
                18 by 10 + 18

Rear
                18 by 11 + 18

TIRES
                front
                275/30/18
                Rear
                315/30/18

SUSPENSION
                Tien coilovers
                Rear ARms
                Solid subframe

ALIGNMENT
                front
                zero toe
                2.5 degrees

Rear
                zero toe
                1.5 degrees

CARS USE
                Drift / Drag / Grip
                Pretty much everything but daily

As you can see, he is running stock fenders with non stretched tires, so I believe it really all matters on what coilovers you have and what you can do with a hammer.

I know the koni/GC set up generally offers less available inner room then a traditional JDM coilover. You can always go with a 9.5 to get some more room up front and slap a 275 on that.

This is a 9.5 on a stock S14 fender with a 275/35/18 (he didn't mention the offset, but I am thinking between 15 and 20something).

Comment

you are forgetting s14s have alot more clearance in and out.

PJ has an 18x10+20 front wheel with 285/30/18.. he just slightly (from the pix) pulled the front fenders.

On an s13 a 255 can be fitted as I have with a pull on the fenders... however a 275 is a whole other story. The wheel well presents a problem especially when lowering... on top of that I run more caster so I'm right there at the limit I need tubs to fit larger wheels...
                  "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Ahh damn, I forgot we were talking about crappy S13s, ^_^

Comment

Oh dont be hating on us s13 folks :P I do sometimes wish I had an s14 but meh.. I love s13 hatches I think they look sexy that's why I got one heh... although some kouki s14s look really sexy.
                      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Even though I make fun of my friends who have S13s I definitely have a soft spot for them. I can't believe a 9 +12 is nearly flush with 20mm widebody on a S13 and it is sunken on rolled stock S14 fenders.

I would take that to guess that S13 fenders are ~25mms smaller then S14 fenders, so if I'm running a 10 +7 with a 245, you could run a 10 +32 with a 245 (assuming that was possible with our suspensions). So I guess I would recommend just running a 9 +20 with a 255, unless you can get some 30mm widebody all around.

Comment

Stretching is pointless though... Extra unsprung weight for dinky rubber. Sure if you wana slam the car and make the wheels stick out as much as possible that works but this is the wrong forum for that lol.

Comment

Stretching also ruins the grip potential of the tires.

Comment

You don't have to explain why you don't like stretched tires, I was attempting to explain where I was pulling my 9J offsets from with a 255 tire.

If you want to pull the unsprung weight thing I could technically say I am saving weight by using less tire, haha. I by no means would run stretched tires on a grip set up, but it works great for drifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X