Dumb oil sender questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb oil sender questions.

Ok, I just picked up a new Greddy oil pan ($210+ ship -- dealz!). Not installing til next month at least as I'm waiting on my next oil change, AND because I went ahead and ordered an s14 pickup tube/gasket. I intend to yank my water temp gauge (I have powerfc so I can read coolant temps at the tstat) and install an oil temp gauge.

Now, there's a threaded port in the pan (1/8 bspt, so gotta buy a $10 adapter) and I'm assuming this is a good place to run the sender, yes?

Also, I have yet to hook up my oil psi gauge ever since I installed my SR (ran it with my KAE-T) and I have a hipro adapter block (seemingly identical to the Nissport one that people here are meh on as it backs off because of the weight). Question is: should I just buy a 2nd 1/8 bspt/npt adapter and just remove the factory dummy gauge? I'm thinking yes, just soliciting input from people who have a better idea about these things

Thanks!

Also, i should use threadtape/sealer, right Def?

Comment

I'm confused by your 2nd paragraph "...threaded port in the pan (1/8 bspt..." The Greddy oil pan has a 1/8th NPT port, which is perfect for your oil temp sensor and no adapters are needed.

The oil sender port, used for the OEM dummy light, on the oil filter housing is 1/8th BSPT and a perfect spot for your oil pressure sensor, and you would need a BSPT to NPT adapter here.

I always use RTV grey for sealing and never have an issue.
      -Monty

Comment

I thought for sure the greddy pan had a bspt port.

If not, then I'm dumb and never mind lol.

As for oil pressure sender, I figured dumping the stock one was fine, just wanted confirmation

Comment

I dumped mine and haven't looked back. I do plan on adding a 15psi oil pressure switch wired to a light in the cabin for track days... I have everything for doing it, just been to lazy to finish it.
          -Monty

Comment

Why in the world would a Japanese company put an American thread on something?
            Greddy/Trust spec them as 1/8 PT on there Japanses site.

I guess it is possible that some american companies has special ordered pans from Trust with NPT thread. You guys better check with your dealer befor you order.
            Last edited by BeerBringer; 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, mine was 1/8th NPT... of course it's a freddy pan too . From a quick search I guess the real pans are threaded for 1/8th BSPT. Sorry about that...
              -Monty

Comment

My brothers Freddy pan was 1/8 BSPT.

Comment

I left off the stock oil pressure sender and have no issues. I would recommend this approach over using an adapter and keeping both.

As for the oil pan, I don't know what thread it is. But my GReddy oil temp sender threaded right into my GReddy pan.

Comment

GReddy pan is BSPT. Definitely use high temp thread sealant as well.

The difference between 1/8 NPT and 1/8 BSPT is only 1 thread count. 27 vs 28.

I put my GReddy oil pressure sensor, which is 1/8 bspt thread, in a 1/8 NPT port. I used thread sealant. No leaks, yet.

Comment

all my defi sensors threaded in with no adapters to the greddy pan or oil pressure.

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Comment

Yeah, I'm using autometer gauges so npt senders Maybe time to get new gauges?

As far as running an adapter into the pan, I read a couple other places that it skewed the reading -- is that true?

Comment

I am running a BSPT sender in an NPT port with sealant and no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                            Yeah, I'm using autometer gauges so npt senders Maybe time to get new gauges?
                            I don't like the Autometer senders because they're HUGE compared to the GReddy ones. If it sees any vibration, you could have trouble. Not that you should go out and switch, but it should be a consideration for someone buying new.

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                            As far as running an adapter into the pan, I read a couple other places that it skewed the reading -- is that true?
                            As long as the probe extends into the pan proper, you shouldn't have any issues. Even if it doesn't I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Comment

I have yet to purchase the oil temp gauge -- I do have the oil psi gauge already, though, but I'm not exactly sure where the sender ran off to, so I might re-buy gauges.

My autometers have been good to me so far, 2 years on my sportcomp boost gauge and it still zeroes out correct and shows the right numbers. Water temp always seemed fine too (til I broke the sender).

Comment

Working...
                              X