X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided/ AN-fitting Power Steering Lines

Anyone running them? I'm just following the writeup here:
    http://www.njtuners.com/showthread.php?p=479831

Basically looking for tips/ tricks/ comments on this. I found out that my power steering rack was punched by the old engine when it blew, and has been leaking fluid to the point where the boots were filled (and more). On removing my old rack, the hard line (high pressure line) twisted off with the flare nut, and I'm sitting here waiting for an overnight shipment of:
    High Pressure:
    EAR-130606ERL 6ft of -6AN Power Steering Hose (Blue Hose)
    EAR-139106ERL 90degree -6AN Hose Fitting, Steel, Zinc plated (x2)
    EAR-9919DFJERL -6AN to 16mm x 1.5, AN to Metric fitting adapter, blue
    EAR-991954ERL -6AN to 14mm x 1.5, AN to Metric fitting adapter, blue
    (Can anyone verify this is correct?)

I'll probably redo the return line with a (very small) cooler in it next go-around, but with a race this weekend, I'm pretty much desperate to get running again.

Hmm, I like this

Comment

Who needs power steering? :wall:
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

i don't remember the exact fitting sizes but i made a bunch of these lines at one point and sold them to friends. getting the ends to start is a bit tough cuz the earls blue ps rated line is pretty buff. that's the annoying part and you might blister your hands. other than that, don't forget to use a crush washer between the metric to AN fitting and your ps pump, or it will leak. you can probably re-use your banjo crush washer cuz iirc, a 16mm crush washer isnt too easy to come by.

Comment

This is what the S14 steering rack fittings measured as when I converted to AN fittings.

# High Pressure

* PS Pump Banjo Fitting = 16mm Banjo
          * High Pressure Steering Rack Fitting = M14x1.25
          * PS pressure Sensor = M12x1.25

# Low Pressure

* Low Pressure Hose OD = 3/8"
          * Reservoir Hose OD = 1/2"
          * PS Pump Return fitting OD =1/2"
          * Rack Return Fitting OD = M14x1.25 with 1/2" tube flair.

I used -8 lines and fittings for the reservoir to pump return and -6 for everything else.

I used a Speedway PS reservoir with -6 inlet and -8 outlet and mounted it with a Canton T-band bracket.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power-...Tank,2062.html

I had the local hydraulic shop braze on an -AN fitting to the PS pump return. They used Aeroquip steel hydraulic fittings and hose (same type used for hydraulic ram systems) which are heavier and less flexible (plus overkill for for the low pressure side) but less expensive.

The type and quantity of the fittings looks correct.
          The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Ran in the DC ProSolo this weekend, and so far it seems as though there aren't any leaks. It probably took a half hour to get the hose ends onto the Earl's blue hose, though.

One thing I'm now thinking of, is using a pressure regulator or flow control valve on a bypass line from the high pressure side to the low pressure side for variable power steering assist. Has anyone else done something like that or at least contemplated it?

Comment

I know this thread is gettin a bit old, but I noticed that the KRC racing powersteering pumps (stock car stuff) come with 3 restriction pills on the output side that you can choose from. So I see no reason a variable bypass couldn't work, but a simple restrictor with no bypass my be simpler and work just as well. Did you ever take this any further?

Comment

I run a -4 AN hose - works just fine, and if anything it's still a bit light. That's one reason why I don't understand why people automatically go for -6 stuff, other than I guess it matches the OD of the huge stock rubber hose with a bigger ID(which is what matters).
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

i just ordered from earls, don't think they make anything other than -6.

Comment

??? I've used everything from a -3 to a -24 Earls line...

Get a premade teflon -4 line, they're cheap at about $12-15ish for a 24-30" length

Comment

oh, sorry i meant their high pressure blue power steering lines

Comment

Oh, you can use teflon lined 3000 psi hose just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          Get a premade teflon -4 line, they're cheap at about $12-15ish for a 24-30" length
                          Do you mean a pre-made Earls line?
                          I was going to order the 16mmx1.5 & 14mmx1.5 to -6an fittings from Summit today/soon, and if I can get pre-made lines I'd order them at the same time, and even go to -4 if it's fine.
                          In Zipties We Trust....

Comment

Do you mean something like this?
                            Is it fine for the HP line?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBPA0040-30/
                            In Zipties We Trust....

Comment

Yes, it's good for 3000 psi and Teflon doesn't have any problem with fluids you'd find on a car.

I've been running a premade -4 Earls Teflon line for about 2-3 years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X