Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone considered a Quaife?

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Nissan-R200-...B-differential

It seems like a high quality, cheapish alternative to what is available now. According to the google calculator, 645 pounds is $1061.15. Maybe someone with a rear end laying around can verify the fitment using this schematic

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop_files/QDF7L96654.jpg

This seems like the best route thus far for a diff. It won't make nearly as much heat as a clutch type, and it is virtually maintenance free.
    Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Any reason not to use an S15 helical diff? Same operating principle. I've been using one for several years and I really like it. Quiet and invisible, seamless when it's needed, doesn't wear out like a VLSD or need rebuild like a clutch-type.
    1990 S13, SR-swapped "Budget Baller" - gone down the road...

Comment

Quaife isn't much different than the S15 Helical diff. Both go open when it lifts a wheel.
      Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

I mentioned the S15 from a cost standpoint. I got mine for $700 shipped, with the output shafts; it goes straight into the S13 or S14 pumpkin, and I believe the cost has come down recently.
        1990 S13, SR-swapped "Budget Baller" - gone down the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Rittmeister View Post
          I mentioned the S15 from a cost standpoint. I got mine for $700 shipped, with the output shafts; it goes straight into the S13 or S14 pumpkin, and I believe the cost has come down recently.
          I got my S15 HLSD for ~$450 shipped last year.

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
            Quaife isn't much different than the S15 Helical diff. Both go open when it lifts a wheel.
            I thought maybe the Quaife would have more aggressive lockup characteristics... Do you know anyone that has used a Quaife?
            Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
              I thought maybe the Quaife would have more aggressive lockup characteristics... Do you know anyone that has used a Quaife?
              Not in a long time, since the S15 became more widely available. A lot of B13 guys used to use them until the Nismo clutch diff became available.
              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Coleman put a Quaife into SCC project Silvia back in the day.

Here is the article:

http://www.modified.com/projectcars/...t_3/index.html

The Quaife is made of better materials and more precision tolerances than the S15 OEM helical diff which accounts for the extra cost.

I believe Quaife diffs have a lifetime warranty against breakage (better double check) and have been used in very high HP drag applications with slicks and held up. For normal upgraded HP levels the S15 diff would work but if you are shooting for the moon the Quaife would offer some extra torque handling capabilities.

A lot of LSD setup comes down to preference. Either type will get the job done but they'll feel different and some times require slightly different techniques to get through different types of corners.

I prefer a clutch LSD because I want the same amount of predictable lockup 100% of the time and I never want my diff to go open in the snow/ice.

Just research how the different diffs work, try to ride along or drive your short list if possible, and pick one based on your intended usages and preferences.
                Last edited by Umai Kakudo; 06-14-2009, 06:06 PM.
                The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

I don't think I will be passing the 350whp range anytime soon. And I really don't think the Quaife is going to pick me up much more ET than the S15 unit.
                  Cory B.

Comment

Originally posted by Umai Kakudo View Post
                    Just research how the different diffs work, try to ride along or drive your short list if possible, and pick one based on your intended usages and preferences.
                    Yea... This is my research stage where I ask if anyone has run the Quaife and what they think.

I already know how they work. I would just guess that the Quaife gears are cut to provide a more aggressive bias ratio...
                    Cory B.

Comment

As for their warranty, yes. Quaife offers a lifetime warranty on their parts, no questions asked. (other than the "How the hell did you break it like that?!" stuff).
                      If it breaks, send it back. they fix it or replace it. period. even when used in racing.
                      Only problem is shipping it a buttload of $.

Can't beat a warranty like that though.
                      Originally posted by SoSideways
                      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                        Not in a long time, since the S15 became more widely available. A lot of B13 guys used to use them until the Nismo clutch diff became available.
                        I had a Quaffe in my VE equipped B13 SE-R back in the day. Currently running the S15 unit in my S14.
                        Jim Schumacher
                        My 240

Comment

Here's differences between Quaife and the s15 OEM unit discuessed in a few emails exchanged between Craig Taylor of Taylor Race Engineering, Inc. (Quaife dealer in the US) and I.

1. The Quaife unit has six pairs of planet gears driving the output
                          gear, so the differential is 50% stronger in the area of moving parts.

2. The OEM unit has cast iron housing. The Quaife housing is turned
                          from solid billet through-hardening steel, which is much stronger and has a
                          much longer wear life than cast iron in this application.

3. The Quaife unit (if purchased from Taylor Race Engineering, Inc.)
                          has a limited lifetime warranty, even if the unit is used in competition.

4. The Quaife has a maximum bias of 80% meaning that up to 80% of the applied
                          torque can be biased to the better wheel. The implication is that under
                          cornering you should not have weight transfer of greater than 80% on the
                          outside wheel to get maximum thrust out of the corner.

Ultimately, he states, "if the Nissan unit has the same bias ratio, the performance will be virtually the same. The Nissan unit will wear out significantly faster than
                          the Quaife unit in competition."

Question is what is the bias ratio in the OEM unit?

Comment

^Good question on the bias.
                            Cory B.

Comment

Originally posted by mmdb View Post

Ultimately, he states, "if the Nissan unit has the same bias ratio, the performance will be virtually the same. The Nissan unit will wear out significantly faster than
                              the Quaife unit in competition."
                              Are not torsen differential considered indestructible?

Comment

Working...
                              X