Couple of sway bar questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of sway bar questions

I just installed my Progress front and rear sway bars.

For those running the Progress bars, what did you torque down the bolts that run through the heim joints to? I've emailed progress, but having a second set of answers would help as well. Looking at my FSM it stated the nuts on the OEM endlinks should be torqued to 10 ft/lbs; I used the same figure on my Progress endlinks. FSM specs for front and rear endlinks differ.

Secondly how can I test to see there is any binding with my endlinks? I've tried lifting up on side of the suspension, it moves freely. I'm not sure what that proves or doesn't prove.

Any feedback on binding from these pictures?

Here are 2 pictures of the front endlinks:

2 pictures of the rear endlinks:

Any and all tips are appreciated.

Bumnah

Originally posted by Bumnah View Post
    Secondly how can I test to see there is any binding with my endlinks? I've tried lifting up on side of the suspension, it moves freely. I'm not sure what that proves or doesn't prove.
    Remove the shocks. Use a jack to move the control arm through the entire range of motion that it would normally see. While doing this, watch the endlinks to see if the bearings run out of room to move. They'll hit against the bracket if they are moving too much.

Comment

How heavy are the progress bars? I've never found a firm measurement.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I didn't weight the bars on a scale.

The packaging label states the following:

19 lbs - Front sway bar (packaging included)
        14 lbs - Rear sway bar (packaging included)

Jmauld - I tried that, but doing it solo made it hard to do. I'll get someone else to crank the jack while I look at the sway bar endlinks.

Comment

make sure you have a swaybar laterall lock kit in place too, the swaybar moves left to right alot during cornering.

YOu will see where the grease has moved to on afteramrket whitline bars.

A kit can be made with some rubber hose cut down its length and then just hose clamped on either side of the swaybr D bushes, you only need 1/2 inch os so of length.

Then you cant bind your links if they dont bind witha jack (dampers off as said)

Comment

I cranked up the RLCA's. The endlinks on the sway bar straightened up when the suspension was jacked up. So it looks like there is plenty of clearance under load.

In full droop the heads around the bearings are a bit close to the edge, but everything was working smoothly when I jacked up the rear suspension.

Still no reply from Progress Auto yet.

Comment

All I can say is...

Dang, that's a lot of shiny parts
              http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Probably not too reassuring since it's so vague, but I remember when I installed mine, I was doing ~25-30 ft-lb. I'm sure this was officially from Progress, on the papers that show you the assembly order.

Comment

Sadly no information on torque specs was provided with the instructions. I looked through them. I'll do it a second time. Perhaps I skimmed through them too quickly.

8.7 ft/lbs is plenty for the u bracket to be bolted to the lower control arms. I torqued it by hand a bit too much and it easily deformed.

Comment

Got a reply from Progress. They said 36-38 ft/lbs should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by cazman View Post
                      make sure you have a swaybar laterall lock kit in place too, the swaybar moves left to right alot during cornering.

YOu will see where the grease has moved to on afteramrket whitline bars.

A kit can be made with some rubber hose cut down its length and then just hose clamped on either side of the swaybr D bushes, you only need 1/2 inch os so of length.

Then you cant bind your links if they dont bind witha jack (dampers off as said)
                      From the pics, the front bar has them welded onto the bar itself.
                      I'm not sure if the rear bar has anything on it or not.

FYI, the factory 350Z sway bars come with shaft clamps on them to hold things in proper alignment. It's worth looking at on any car, although a bit more expensive than some rubber hose and a hose clamp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-clamps/=1txgwu
                      Originally posted by SoSideways
                      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        From the pics, the front bar has them welded onto the bar itself.
                        I'm not sure if the rear bar has anything on it or not.

FYI, the factory 350Z sway bars come with shaft clamps on them to hold things in proper alignment. It's worth looking at on any car, although a bit more expensive than some rubber hose and a hose clamp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-clamps/=1txgwu
                        Cheers for that, I havent looked under a 350z, but Ill be keeping these in mind

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...QQcmdZViewItem
                          You can see them in that pic, but they're not very detailed. I think they're made from aluminum... I have a set of 350 bars sitting in the junk pile in the back yard, I can take a look tomorrow if you want.
                          Originally posted by SoSideways
                          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yeah both Progress bars have a piece welded into place to keep them from sliding left or right.

Comment

Working...
                            X