X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turtl631
    Copycat
    • Aug 2007

Mazda3 Skyactiv daily

Got a good deal on a 2012 model. 6AT Touring trim- pretty basic for a modern car but still has Bluetooth, decent halogen projectors, and a moonroof. Only has about 50 miles on it thus far but we're enjoying it. First new car ever!

~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver
  • Def
    Budget Baller to the Max
    • Dec 2007

Drop an SR into it.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Beejis60
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Def
      Drop an SR into it.
      Might as well suggest he adds those truck balls things to the rear while you're at it.

Comment

• turtl631
        Copycat
        • Aug 2007

Truck balls are widespread and thriving in western PA. I really want to stealthily add a pair to my nervous friend's Volvo wagon, it would give him a heart attack.
        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

• Beejis60
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by turtl631
          Truck balls are widespread and thriving in western PA. I really want to stealthily add a pair to my nervous friend's Volvo wagon, it would give him a heart attack.
          I'm originally from Youngstown....

Don't forget to add a Browns sticker somewhere too.

Comment

• turtl631
            Copycat
            • Aug 2007

~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

• Def
              Budget Baller to the Max
              • Dec 2007

On second thought, follow the Honda path and put a K24 in it!

What kind of mileage you getting on that thing so far? Auto trans pretty kind to dropping down a gear or two when tipping into the throttle?

I honestly wouldn't mind an auto for daily driving if it had the common sense that when I go from 20% throttle to 60% throttle I'd rather drop down a gear and actually move forward instead of lugging along in a really tall overdrive gear and barely increasing my speed. Then you end up having to give it basically 90-100% throtte, and it drops down every gear it can, then the engine wails along for a second, then it upshifts quickly to the tallest overdrive as you finally have gone 5 mph faster and back off the throttle.

Then again, it drives the wife crazy when I'm constantly hitting the O/D button off on his Escape. But it'd be much easier if modern autos had reasonable shift logic instead of "let's try to eek out another 0.2 mpg on the EPA test" programming.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Beejis60
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by turtl631
                yinz... lol, definitely pittsburghspeak there.

Comment

• turtl631
                  Copycat
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Def
                  On second thought, follow the Honda path and put a K24 in it!

What kind of mileage you getting on that thing so far? Auto trans pretty kind to dropping down a gear or two when tipping into the throttle?

I honestly wouldn't mind an auto for daily driving if it had the common sense that when I go from 20% throttle to 60% throttle I'd rather drop down a gear and actually move forward instead of lugging along in a really tall overdrive gear and barely increasing my speed. Then you end up having to give it basically 90-100% throtte, and it drops down every gear it can, then the engine wails along for a second, then it upshifts quickly to the tallest overdrive as you finally have gone 5 mph faster and back off the throttle.

Then again, it drives the wife crazy when I'm constantly hitting the O/D button off on his Escape. But it'd be much easier if modern autos had reasonable shift logic instead of "let's try to eek out another 0.2 mpg on the EPA test" programming.

Only 180 miles on it so far, mileage unknown...still have half a tank left though and this is mostly city short trips in traffic.

The trans definitely keeps it in a high gear normally, but if you give it some gas it seems to downshift intelligently. It will also hold the gear for some engine braking if you let off suddenly while accelerating which is cool. IIRC the trans is a hybrid design that somehow uses a torque converter at very low speeds for automatic style traffic creeping, but a automated clutch system elsewhere. The shifter manual mode is also push down/pull up which is cool. Overall, I love it compared with the old Foresters 4EAT, but that thing is a dinosaur.
                  ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

• ManoNegra
                    Ministry of Silly Walks
                    • Sep 2008

Just saw this thread
                    I've had mine for a year now and put a little over 20k miles on it and still loving it.
                    Stopped babying the throttle long ago and still get ~36mpg, mostly highway commuting.
                    1995 Fouki S14 - re-energized ka-t project!
                    1999 F150 - gas guzzler parts getter
                    1989 Toyota Pickup - mandatory Pomona abandoned-in-driveway vehicle
                    2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive hatch - "The only 40mpg econobox worth driving"

Comment

• turtl631
                      Copycat
                      • Aug 2007

Wow nice. Auto or manual? I do mostly short trips on city streets with lots of hills so mileage is not that great.
                      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

• ManoNegra
                        Ministry of Silly Walks
                        • Sep 2008

Manual transmission and Dolphin Gray color were the about the only options I was adamant about.
                        1995 Fouki S14 - re-energized ka-t project!
                        1999 F150 - gas guzzler parts getter
                        1989 Toyota Pickup - mandatory Pomona abandoned-in-driveway vehicle
                        2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive hatch - "The only 40mpg econobox worth driving"

Comment

Working...